Starcrawler - Starcrawler

2018
1 keeper
keeper avg .100

What can I say about the debut album from LA band Starcrawler, an album of average punk songs by an average punk band. Opening track "Train" has a Sonic Youth noise rock thing that's kinda cool. The fast songs ("Love's Gone Again" and "Different Angles") sound like Bad Religion and Nirvana, respectively; the happier ones shall I say ("Pussy Tower" and "Full of Pride") seem inspired by Joan Jett and Weezer, respectively; and the ones in the median ("I Love LA" and "Let Her Be") are like Hole meets Veruca Salt.

And then there are the slower outliers, the stoner rock "Chicken Woman," the Seattle-ified acoustic dirge "Tears," and the draggy, Stooges-inspired closer "What I Want." There isn't a truly bad song here, but none live up to their inspirations, except for the goofy and slightly raunchy "Pussy Tower"**** (the "head!" song), the one song where they sound like they're truly having a good time. But with stripped-down White Stripes-level arrangements (I know there's bass in there, but whatever) I had to work hard to find variation between songs, and the brittle guitar sound that dominates the mixes throughout is grating to listen to. I'd rather listen to their next album "Devour You" instead; it's more varied, better-sounding, and has better material.

Comments