The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Mini Album Thingy Wingy

2015
1 keeper
keeper avg .143

The last BJM album I have reviewed to date was Aufheben from 2012, so I missed a couple jumping to this one. I have no idea what I missed on those albums, but after the relatively experimental and multitextured Aufheben I would call this EP a return to their typical, or earlier sound. Unfortunately there are few surprises. "Pish" (whose title is featured on the cover art), the simplistic "Get Some," and instrumental "Mandrake Handshake" have all the familiar jangly and psychedelic elements but would only be passable 'b' material on any 90's BJM album. "Leave It Alone" and "Here Comes the Waiting for the Sun" are both 6-minutes of boring drones. And the bedroom folk cover of 13th Floor Elevators "Dust" sounds especially unfocused. The only standout here is the spacious "Prší Prší"****, an arresting combination of eastern European folk with dramatic orchestral washes (XS Noize describes it as "a collaborative work with Vladamir Nosal, front man for the Slovakian indie pop band Queer Jane, providing the vocals"). But I'd skip the rest.

Comments