Ryan Adams - s/t

2014
keepers 3
keeper avg .273
Adams' 14th studio album was his first no.1, probably due to the evocative and moody Grammy-nominated single "Gimme Something Good"*****, a song I've heard many dozen times and still not close to getting tired of it. Part of the reason is the magic flavor of his drone-y, jangle-y Jazzmaster guitar, which makes even the album's simplest songs, such as "Kim", "Am I Safe", and "Shadows" compelling. "Stay With Me"**** may sound similar to "Gimme Something Good" with a little late-80's pop sensibility, but I'm not complaining. "Feels Like Fire"**** (rhythmically identical to "Shadows", the song it follows), the album's openest and brightest track, pounds along with automotive insistence.  "I Just Might", "My Wrecking Ball", and "Let Go" have a Springsteen-ian minimalism, while "Trouble" and "Tired of Giving Up"  are just basic Americana / country-rock.

Comments