Atoms For Peace - Amok

2013
keepers 3
keeper avg .333
Atoms For Peace: Thom Yorke writing on some Apple device probably, as performed by his live band from his first solo tour: Flea, Radiohead's producer, Beck/REM's drummer and, and Mauro Refosco from a band I'm not familiar with. It sounds like what I'd expect from Yorke, that being lots of electronic taps and farts. From a nice but same-y sounding collection of songs the catchiest moments are thus: 
The "I've made my bed I'll lie in it" chorus of "Default"**** is memorable, with swelling keyboard noise and metallic clangs. "Dropped"****  has a most aggressive keyboard riff, pulsing and oscillating in response to Yorke's vocal. It's hard to tell where Flea is happening most of the time, but that squiggly sound of his is unmistakable and it's the star attraction of "Stuck Together Pieces"****. (It's also easy to pick out on the next track, "Judge, Jury, and "Executioner"). Opening track "Before Your Very Eyes", "Unless", and "Reverse Running" have some cool riffs going on but they're not as memorable. Anyway, even the top 3 songs here sound like second tier Radiohead. Guy's gotta keep busy I guess.

Comments