The Band - Music From Big Pink

1968
keepers 4
keeper avg .364
Though I know I've seen Music From Big Pink described as quote so classic it's not even funny unquote, it's not my default style and most of the album is new to me, so I'll do my best. Having listened to classic rock for more than a couple decades I've heard my share of "The Weight"****, whose humor and harmonies are still awesome every time I hear it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one that considers Garth Hudson's ballsy intro to "Chest Fever"**** to be 50 of the most memorable seconds in rock history. The song loses momentum a bit in parts like the bridge, but some interesting Robbie Robertson guitar bits make up for that. Some songs, including "Tears Of Rage", "Long Black Veil", and "Lonesome Suzie" are a bit dreary for me. Danko's "To Kingdom Come"**** is much more insistent and snappy, and the silly "tarred and feathered, thistles and thorns" chorus is fun. "We Can Talk"**** has a pleasant Grateful Dead feel, while the swinging "Caledonia Mission" could have influenced Little Feat. "This Wheel's On Fire" is flawed but shows the seeds of some great parts to come in "Up On Cripple Creek". Unfortunately the version of "I Shall Be Released" that closes this album is squeaky and annoying, with vocals delivered mostly in falsetto. Fortunately I've heard better, more affecting versions.

Comments