Split Enz - True Colors

1980
keepers 3
keeper avg .272
The version of True Colors I listened to started off with the single "I Got You", their best know song in this country. "As for myself I think it's a bit of a downer and the mismatched verse and chorus just run together indiscriminately, but who am I to argue with all of Australia and New Zealand (where the single hit #1). Apparently, according to wikipedia the band thought "Missing Person"**** to be the album's standout track, and I'm with them. It's solid power-pop built on a solid, interesting backing track rather than goofy synths - synths can be used skillfully and add an amusing novelty, but a song using them still risks sounding dated. "Shark Attack"**** is more punk than new wave, and its manic energy and funny lyrics are infectious. "What's The Matter With You" and the subtler "Poor Boy"**** are another couple solid new wave rockers. In with the rest of the filler are the synth-happy instrumentals; one is "Double Happy" - might as well be The Police. I do let those guys get away with at least 1 pointless instrumental each album, so sue me if I give the band that brought me Zenyatta Mondatta and Synchronicity a little leeway. Doesn't make the 2 on this album any more essential.

Comments