The Mooney Suzuki - The Maximum Black EP

keepers - 2
Comprised of tracks from the initial demo and unreleased tracks from that period, the EP is practically split down the middle between MC5 proto-rock and 60's garage jangle-pop. "And Begin"**** starts with a meathead-simple blaring like an alarm bell to add in other riffs just for fun. "I Say I Love You", "Half Of My Heart", and slightly spy-movie "My Dear Persephone", all appear on the first album People Get Ready. "I say I Love You" adds stuttering riffs that Poster Children would love, "Persephone" adds mysterioso vocal harmonies, while the muddled sound of "Half Of My Heart" would be right at home on Nuggets. The middle of the record administers a brutal aural flogging with "Turn My Blue Sky Black" and "Love Is A Gentle Whip"****, nailing the sound of MC5's Kick Out The Jams while much tighter. The remaining bonus tracks explore the poppy side of 60's garage; "You're Not There" resembles The Who's noisy psychedelia, while "This Lonely Land" has the most memorable. harmonies. Ending like it begins, the record closes appropriately with the 3-note garage classic "I Can Only Give You Everything", as if more comparisons to the MC5 are necessary.

Comments