Dig - s/t

keepers - 4
Yes, that one hit wonder of an album that quickly appeared in every used bin in every college town - apparently a lot of people  were not impressed. I picked up for a cool $.50. Surprisingly, there are a handful of worthy tunes, though the album is pathologically inconsistent. Coming on the heels of the alternative explosion, the album's sound actually mimics Jane's Addiction, not surpising, being produced by Dave Jerden. This is especially true of the opening salvo, "Let Me Know"**** and "I'll Stay High", with plenty of Jane's Addiction dissonance, screaming wah-guitar, and prominent bass lines. If not genius writing, "Anymore"**** does have a densely ethereal shoegazer production, and some nice guitar textures. And then ending the first 'side' is the MTV hit "Believe"****, which I can't find any problem with. That is until you hear Scott Hackwith run out of words by the bridge but pad the song length anyway. When the album does stumble, it does so badly with ridiculous lyrics "I like your stupid clothes, I like your look, I like your politics, I like your trash.....I like your mouth, I like your mom and dad, I like your money', then 'conversation conversation what your name is what your name is', in "Conversation, and 'she's got her education She knows just what to say She says Fuck you', in another misogynist gem "Fuck You". Without anything interesting to say, "Feet Don't Touch The Ground" and "Green Room" are just Jane's Addiction rip-offs, and "Unlucky Friend" has the clumsily grandiosity of Bush. By middle of the second half, a good helping of cringe-worthy lyrics have ruined an otherwise listenable album, and now I have to find a place to store a dud of an album I'll never be able to unload.

Comments