Camera Obscura - Underachievers Please Try Harder


1x**** On this album the band is similar to early Belle & Sebastian, with a less-varied however pretty sound, and with the dreamy, girlish vocals of Tracyanne Campbell. The juxtaposition of this voice stating "I don't know my elbow from my ass" in "Suspended From Class" is amusing to be sure, but not the best lyric. "Keep It Clean" has more assertive instrumentation, but the vocal phrasing has still to reach its potential. The syncopated shuffle of "Teenager"**** is a unique moment on the record, and the lyric about sucking it up and acting like an adult is especially memorable. While "Number One Son" and Motown-influenced "Let Me Go Home" show the most life and point to great songs to come, most drift along quietly, and lines like "now I separation is okay, you're no star to guide me anyway, you only wanted me to play a fool" in "Books Written For Girls" impose a constant state of melancholy. "Your Picture" sounds essentially identical to Leonard Cohen, and seems like the natural conclusion of that career path. Songs like "Before You Cry" and "Footloose And Fancy Free" have enough substance to make them beautiful background music, but I think this sound would be taken to the next level next time around.

Comments