Wilco - Wilco (The Album)


1x*****,2x****
Everything here you've heard before, but based on past experience some of it should be pretty good. For example "Sonny Feeling", which is buried near the end, is a sound straight from AM, except played with a bit more subtlety. Subtlety is the word to describe "One Wing" as well, though this is subtlety to the point of supperssion, until a brilliant instrumental section, driven by Nels Cline's brilliant leads - just like every song on Sky Blue Sky. "Deeper Down" is heavily-orchestrated, in 60's/retro prog-rock style that's a bit different. Self-consciously-named Wilco(The Song)***** does have a heck of a great sound that lifts the song far above the simple composite parts, one of which is the stupid line "Wilco Wilco Wilco will love you baby". But it gets worse: "This is an aural arms open wide - A sonic shoulder for you to cry on". Turn that one over in your head for a minute. I'm with those conjectures the Jeff Tweedy is getting really lazy. "Bull Black Nova"**** is this album's "Spiders/Kidsmoke", though with a bit more variation. The strange musical detours a new flavor to the managed and pensive set-up. "You And I" is lite rock for those who think they are too cool for lite rock; guess what? It's still lite rock; if you like this you are OLD. After this "You Never Know"**** is a relative kick in the pants; a brilliant sing-songy pop song whose "I don't care any more" chorus is irresistable. "I'll fight" is also instantly catchy, but for the wrong reasons:
I’ll go, I’ll go, I’ll go
I’ll go for you
I’ll fight, I’ll fight, I’ll fight
I’ll fight for you
I’ll kill, I’ll kill, I’ll kill
I’ll kill for you
I will, I will, I will
I’ll go, I’ll go, I’ll go
I’ll go for you
I’ll fight, I’ll fight, I’ll fight
I’ll fight for you
I’ll die, I’ll die, I’ll die
I’ll die for you
I will, I will, I will
... is a new low. The rest of the album is the soft alternative country that filled Sky Blue Sky but without Nels Cline's invigorating leads. "Everlasting Everything" tries to end the album with a big profound statement, but the result is corny. By the end I don't know where Wilco will can go from here, and the band obviously doesn't have a clue.

Comments