Seam - The Pace Is Glacial

4x****
At best feeling like a less-dramatic Promise Ring, half of The Pace Is Glacial is a decent, though unvaried emo album. Though restrained, the verse riff of "Little Chang, Big City"**** is instantly memorable and addictive. "Get Higher"**** and "Intifada Driving School"**** continue the formula of catchy riffs and almost whispered vocals. "The Prizefighters"**** has a uniquely stately feel even as time signatures seamlessly drift from 3 to 4. The only other rock song is "In The Sun". Unfortunately the remaining songs are so restrained that no hooks can be noticeable; and though "Nisei Fight Song" and "Aloha Spirit" do settle into memorable grooves, they don't develop enough to be interesting.

Comments

igotSARS said…
I realize "The problem with me" is supposed to be a much better album - but I always dug "The pace is glacial". Both Little Chang Big City and Get Higher pretty much reuse the same chords but they are both catchy as hell. I really like this album but admit it would probably be boring to a casual listener.
thanks for the comment. the problem with me is on my listening pile next.