Pentangle - Open The Door

Not sure if the phrase jazzy-medieval helps anyone, but that's what the opening title song is; lyrically it resembles John Denver with the pastoral scenes, but more Lilith Fair. "Mother Earth" has some strange jazzy chords, but may be the most Renaissance Fair song here. Burn the witch - she's made of wood! The sparse instrumental "The Dolphin" is total baroque. In an album of pretty music, "Child Of The Winter" may be the prettiest song here, with some pretty delicate guitar. "Lost love" on the other hand makes me want to sit for hours and hours, drink coffee, do a crossword puzzle, and enjoy the patchouli - no need to shower today, I just want a scone so I can enjoy this NPR music. "Sad Lady" actually has some electric guitar, but the vocals are very chant-y. "Yarrow" needs to be heard echoing on a moist wind, like Greensleves across the heather. I can see it now, and I'm suddenly hungry for a roasted turkey leg; then I see some fat chick in chain-mail. "Street Song" is similar to the first song, but has some pretty wankeriffic (if I can say that about jazz) acoustic bass and some almost Bonham-esque drumming in the big finish. It's "Battle Of Evermore" meets Led Zeppelin 3. Who's up for a joust?

Comments