John Lennon - Imagine

2x***** 4x****
The ultimate sacred cow.
I've been suckered in by the title song ***** for the last 18 years or so, so I'll skip to "Crippled Inside"**** which sounds cliched, but is meaningful as illustration of the ways people compensate for their pain. In this context "Jealous Guy"**** is a tuneful song of regret. "It's So Hard" is a bluesy throwback to Plastic Ono Band, and a bit predictable. "I Don't Wanna Be A Soldier"**** is more of a jam with a repeating vocal chant that probably took about 3 minutes to write, but has a unique sound for John. As 2008 at least has some similarity to 1975, I'll take the rage of "Give Me Some Truth"***** to sum up the last 8 years. I'll work on a way to stick Dick Cheney in there for Tricky Dick. But what would a John Lennon album be without some drek about his sweetest, "Oh My Love", and "Oh Yoko" - it's time to get a drink. "How" is a bit better, but way too slow. But as many Silly Love Songs as we've had to deal with, how can I not get behind "How Can You Sleep"**** the tribute to his 'cute' former band-mate.

Comments