John Denver - Rocky Mountain Collection

4x****, 1x*****
First I shoudld mention that after a few seconds in my computer's CD-rom, the disk literally exploded - little shards of male sensitivity everywhere. Probably the first sign that I am not the right person to review this compilation, as I am hardly John Denver fan (or even an apoligist), I am resistant to sensitivity, and don't understand how some people can hear some of his songs and not want to take a chainsaw to every piece of furniture in the room, and then turn it on their neck. Now that I've got the hyperbole out of the way, I can say that I would want to hear certain songs again, though a good many are just vomit-inducing and trite, especially "Friends With You", "Sunshine On My Shoulders", "This Old Guitar", "Perhaps Love", and "Autograph". And as hard as I try, I can't listen "Annie's Song" without muttering some permutation of "you sucked on my (word for naughty bits)". In fact, I would dismiss pretty much all output after 1975 as over-the-top sappy; I am aware that I am biased. But some songs are just feel-good music and grew on me. John's original version of "Leaving On A Jet Plane"**** makes the PPM version sound just dopey. "Take Me Home Country Roads"****, "Rocky Mountain High"*****, "Farewell Andromeda"****, and "Calypso"**** I think are made for the sing-along. Sometimes in life you find out things about yourself, and I found out that behind the legitimate-rock-music image I like to maintain, there is an inner pussy that just wants to be loved and validated - dammit.

Comments