Boz Scaggs - My Time, Disc 1

1x***** 2x****
Why I thought I should devote some time to a disc of adult contemporary lite rock I can't explain, but hearing one song in particular I had to give it a try. What we have here is some really sleepy stuff, "Harbor Lights" maybe the sleepiest. The ballads are similar to any Robbie Neville song I've heard, which is fine if you're into that I'm sure. "Runnin Blue" must be one of those recently recorded teasers, as it's all big band. "We Were Always Sweethearts" is snappy to be sure, but weak and hippy dippy. And I keep on re-listening to "Dinah Flo" waiting for Kiki Dee to jump out, until those backup singers scare her off. "You Make It So Hard", "What Can I Say", and "It's Over" are more typical 70's dance pop, though the latter has a little spite which is needed here. "Hercules" sounds like it should be some cop drama theme music, but nothing as cool as Dirty Harry, even though they may be neighbors. And "I Got Your Number"**** suggests pop stars from the 60's evoking "Indians", with a bunch a white guys stomping around in face paint and feathers. "Lowdown" is all disco, and there's those damn disco flutes. "Lido Shuffle"**** is well represented on classic rock radio, but I usually keep it on anyway, I guess cuz the end of the chorus takes an interesting turn. I should have my brain examined for not skipping groan-worthy ballad "We're All Alone", but I did listen several times to nuke that part of my brain that held that abominable Rita Coolidge cover. The disc ends on a high note with "Loan Me A Dime"*****(+ a few more), with Duane Allman, which slowly morphs from slow blues like "Since I've Been Loving You" to some sweaty full-on New Orleans or Memphis or something jam with a bunch of horns. Smoking.

Comments