Beatles - Please Please Me

1x***** 5x****
Starts off strong with 3 classics in a row. "I Saw Her Standing There"**** needs no explanation. "Misery"**** is a bit more Everly Brothers. "Anna (Go To Him)"**** is much slower with a bit of a stuttering guitar part and some great singing in the choruses (as always) by John. "Chains" is a bit of a throw away. "Boys" is similar to "Money" and sung by Ringo. "Ask Me Why" has a latin flavor (sorry, flavour) - samba? i dunno. Title song**** is classic John, with the lines of the verse being punctuated perfectly by the stops and Ringo's drumming. The classic "Love Me Do" also requires no explanation, but I'm still bored with it. "PS I Love You" is some typical Paul crooner fluff, very 50's. "Baby It's You" has sha la la la la, and you get the idea. "Do You Want To Know A Secret"***** is dominated by a little chromatic riff on guitar and the backing do da do's, and a great John song. "A Taste Of Honey" I know from that Herb Alpert version I heard on AM radio a million times before I heard anything rock, thanks mom and dad; I can't compare this version to anything as I've never heard anything earlier. "There's A Place" is some typical Brit-pop, not sounding a lot like the Beatles really, but gets slightly less than ****. The album ends with "Twist And Shout"****, which never loses its energy, no matter how many hundred times you hear it or see Ferris Beuller's Day Off.

Comments

I guess I cn unnerstand being bored with "Love Me Do", but you got to give it up for the harmonica solo. Don't you?

lexdm!